- Lead multidisciplinary science research that drives innovation and impact in food science and technology
- Apply your expertise to the Australian and global food value chain
- Join CSIRO’s internationally recognised Agricultural and Food business unit
This senior role will see you being engaged to drive innovation in food science and technology with a focus on food structure and chemistry, bioprocessing and value addition, whilst playing a key role in leading a multidisciplinary science research group of 15-20 staff. Your expertise and that of CSIRO will be applied to the Australian and global food value chain using its broad range of industrial know-how and scientific capability.
The role is located at the CSIRO Food Innovation Centre, Werribee (near Melbourne) in Victoria, Australia. There will be a requirement to travel interstate on a frequent basis for research project delivery and/or meetings, seminars or conferences.
Your duties will include
- Lead, build and manage growth in investment and impact delivery for the Australian and global Food Industry through food science and technology, with a particular focus on research in transforming biomass generated across the Agrifood value chain into value added products. A detailed understanding of food structure, food chemistry and bioprocessing will be used for the development of ingredients and premium food and beverage products.
- Define major food science and technology related challenges that CSIRO and the Food Industry can collaborate on.
- Lead and identify multiple and simultaneous programmes in food science and technology, including identifying a credible route to impact and leading to multiple investment solutions.
- Lead and supervise staff to ensure that research is conducted professionally and projects are completed within the agree timeframes and budget.
- Act as a trusted advisor, utilising knowledge of partner and client’s business and understanding of their underlying needs.
- Anticipate industry and/or community needs and market direction through partner and client liaison/networking, and identify and adapt quickly to changes.
Location: Werribee, VIC
Salary: $134,421 to $148,725 plus up to 15.4% Superannuation
To be successful you will need
- PhD in Food Science and Technology or closely related field and with significant leadership and/or commercial expertise.
- Significant experience and depth of understanding of science either from a research or industry perspective and/or relevant work experience.
- High levels of expertise in the commercialisation of innovative high value ingredients and food and beverage products and processes.
- Demonstrated experience of engagement and leading complex strategic relationships with the Australian Food Industry and global partners.
- A history of respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and lead productive research teams, undertake strategic planning, operationalise the vision for stakeholders and gain commitment to the direction chosen.
- Sound understanding of the Food industry and their respective business challenges.
- Proven ability to resolve major commercial problems which have an impact on business outcomes.
To be eligible for this position you must be physically able to undertake specific non-negotiable activities in the Food Processing Pilot Plants located on the Werribee and Coopers Plains sites [i.e. prolonged standing, noise affected environment, working at heights or in tight or enclosed spaces etc.]
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter of no more than 2 pages that outlines how your experience meets the selection criteria for this position.
Wednesday 27 March, 2019
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.