With approximately 6,500 staff, approximately $7 billion in assets and more than 6,500 kilometres of track, Queensland Rail is an integrated customer and rail infrastructure business servicing the passenger, tourism, resources and freight customer markets throughout Queensland. The organisation aims to be the safest, best performing and most customer focused railway in Australia.
We have a rare opportunity for a Project Safety Manager looking to leverage their skills and play a vital role in ensuring safety is embedded across Queensland Rail’s core Projects function. Managing a small team of safety professionals in a dynamic and complex environment, you will be responsible for leading and defining Queensland Rail approach across a broad spectrum of portfolio areas as well as upskilling and providing strategic advice to leaders.
We are seeking candidates with previous experience in the construction industry which would be supported with extensive knowledge of contemporary safety practices and principles as they apply to a large, complex organisation.
- Participate as a member of the Projects Leadership Team to provide leadership and strategic advice on project and operational safety issues through effective strategy formulation, customer, business partner and stakeholder engagement, financial and commercial excellence and people leadership.
- Achieve the Projects business targets, objectives, performance measures, safety responsibilities and continually seeking to implement business performance improvement initiatives.
- Lead and manage the establishment and implementation of the functional safety strategy, and establish frameworks, programs, policies and plans that will achieve these strategic objectives in accordance with the overall safety strategy of the enterprise.
- Build and maintain strategic and working relationships with stakeholders, including working closely with other relevant senior leaders to improve project and operational safety.
- Work with the other Functional Safety managers to lead and define approach to the specialised portfolio areas of Rail Safety, Work Health & Safety, and Environmental Management.
- Lead and manage a team responsible for core Projects safety services activities, including, function-specific Safety Strategy, financial management plans and budgets and implementation of safety initiatives.
- Provide integrated overall operational and project safety management for the Function as a single point of accountability, devolving specific aspects of operational decision making to the most efficient and effective levels.
- Oversee the provision of consultancy and education services to the function in project safety management to enable them to identify safety issues and successfully implement safety programs.
You will have:
- High level leadership, strategic thinking and management skills to deliver consistent outcomes across a large and complex safety-oriented organisation.
- High level of skill in directing and working with a professional team in integrating and prioritising operational and project safety initiatives, standards and governance frameworks.
- Extensive knowledge of contemporary safety principles and practices.
- High level of skill in leading safety professionals in implementing appropriate safety and risk management frameworks, strategies, programs, policies and procedures.
- High level of influencing, interpersonal, consultation, relationship building and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of and willingness to commit to and work within Queensland Rail's Values and Behaviours.
Position Description 73071.pdf
Starting salary: $116, 425 + generous super + rail pass (home and duty).
If you can demonstrate a high level of knowledge or experience in the above criteria, please apply to position number 73071 by clicking onto the "Apply" button. Please submit a resume and covering letter outlining relevant experience by 5:00pm, Wednesday 16th October 2019. Please note a formal response to the key selection criteria is not required.
Applications can be addressed to Rachel Groves, Senior Recruitment Adviser. To learn more about this Queensland Rail career opportunity email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not email your application; we can only accept applications received via our website.
The recruitment and selection process for this position will require the successful candidate to satisfactorily undertake an alcohol and other drug screen and video screen.
Queensland Rail is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from non-English speaking backgrounds to apply for this position.