- Are you an engineer with experience working in a complex plant or building facility?
- Provide biocontainment advice to the Australian Animal Health Laboratory.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science research organisation.
The role of Technical Staff in CSIRO is to provide support for scientific research in a diverse range of laboratory and field situations across a range of different research projects. This support consists of the application of accepted technical practices and the development of new practices. At senior levels staff may be involved in management of a facility or service and negotiations with external clients/industry.
As the Biocontainment Engineer you will be located at the CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL) and will provide biocontainment advice to the Biorisk Manager; manage the Containment Services Group (CSG) who is responsible for testing Biological Safety Cabinets, laboratory HEPA filters and Autoclaves; and also performs a range of decontaminations within the AAHL Facility.
You will represent CSIRO AAHL as a member of Committee ME-060 (Controlled Environment) of Standards Australia and ensures that AAHL maintains NATA accreditation for cabinet testing, and will also coordinate various other activities within BSL3 and BSL4 laboratories.
To be appointable to this role you must be able to meet AAHL's Microbiological Security and Security Clearance requirements.
Your duties will include:
- Promote and comply with the microbiological containment requirements at AAHL and to advise the Biorisk Manager (BM) or his/her deputy promptly of any significant issues that pose a threat or potential threat to physical or microbiological security.
- Review incident reports regularly and take necessary action to restore/improve the biocontainment of the building and installations.
- Participate in the after-hours Duty Microbiological Security Officer (MSO) roster and perform tasks as required.
- Assess proposed new and/or modified engineering works with a focus on compliance with AAHL microbiological containment principles. Monitor such new works and modifications and provide preconstruction approvals and witness of validation tests where appropriate.
View the full position details and security requirements here: Position description document.
Location: Geelong, VIC
Salary: $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Job ref: 56986
To be successful you will need:
- A degree in a relevant field of engineering.
- Ability to meet high level Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA) clearance requirements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a complex plant or facility.
- Performance as an influential team member, including the provision of effective team management and leadership.
- Knowledge of biosafety and biocontainment principles and or experience working in a microbiological science or laboratory environment would be an advantage.
Before you apply please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description document.
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more here! Balance
The Australian Animal Health Laboratory - AAHL helps protect Australia’s multi-billion dollar livestock and aquaculture industries, and the general public, from emerging infectious disease threats. It is a high-containment facility designed to allow scientific research into the most dangerous infectious agents in the world.
How to apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role as defined in the position description.
Applications close: 11:59pm AEDT, 3 June 2018.