WHS Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council (View other jobs from this organisation)
About the business
Napranum is a remote Indigenous community located on the shores of the Gulf of Carpentaria in the Cape York Peninsula. Napranum is 10 minutes' drive from the town of Weipa, 4 hours from Fruit Bat Falls and a 4WD journey to The Tip of Cape York.
Our Council has a diverse team of about 100 staff who work across a broad variety of services and projects, which include trades, child care, aged care, finance and administration, and more. We offer a unique balance of career opportunities in the public sector and lifestyle in the heart of Cape York.
About the role
The Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council (NASC) is looking for a qualified and experienced Work Health and Safety(WHS) Officer to join our busy team based in the Napranum office. In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing the strategic direction of work health and safety within council through developing, maintaining and coordinating proactive policies, procedures, standards and systems.
- Ensure Council meets its workplace health and safety obligations under the Act and associated legislation;
- Assist in leading and coordinating programs to ensure Council and employee compliance with legislative requirements and Council's WHS management system.
- Provide WHS guidance, advice and support to all NASC employees.
- Undertake incident investigations and provide appropriate reports to management.
- Assist in developing, reviewing and conducting WHS training activities.
- Develop, maintain and instruct staff in the use of templates, checklists and associated work health and safety documents;
- Work collaboratively within the organisation to promote, develop and foster a culture which creates a work environment where employees embrace and value safety and take responsibility for their own safety and the overall safety performance of Council;
Work with Council
Generous superannuation options (Council contributes 12%, you salary sacrifice a 6% contribution)
5 weeks' Annual Leave plus 17.5% Leave Loading
Relocation assistance up to $5000 offered to eligible candidates under Council's Relocation policy
36.25 hour week / 9 day working fortnight
Position is based in Napranum and is not offered on a FIFO / Remote basis.
Skills and experience
- Relevant Qualification of at least certificate level in WHS
- Relevant Experience and demonstrated interest in WHS
- Possession of a current open "C" class licence (Car)
- Possession of a QLD General Construction Induction Card ("White Card") or the ability to obtain prior to commencement.
- Ability to obtain and retain a Working with Children Blue Card and agree to a Police Check
- Demonstrated understanding of current safety related legislation and guidelines, and the ability to apply these within a Council context.
- Demonstrated high level communication and interpersonal skills, including proficient writing capabilities and the ability to secure commitment from a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage own work load including maintenance of systems, reporting and administration.
- High level customer service skills with the ability to provide accurate timely advice in a supportive manner.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound analytical skills to undertake risk assessments and provide professional advice regarding rectifications.
- Ability to present information and train in a group environment
- Possess demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and actively participate as a team member to ensure a cohesive approach to achieving team and corporate objectives
- Advanced computer skills, including high level proficiency with the Microsoft Office programs (e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook) and the internet.
- Cert IV TAE – Trainer and Assessor
- Drug and Alcohol Testing accreditation - Current
- Proven experience working and communicating effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience and interest in local government operations
- Be physically fit and healthy to be able to meet requirements of the position
Applications close 4pm Monday 21st September 2020
Applicants must prepare a cover letter that responds to the Selection Criteria found in the Application Pack
Applicants are to submit their resume and a cover letter that addresses the selection criteria to
For more information, contact the HR team on 07 4090 5600
- Closing Date:
- 21 Sep 2020
- QLD - Napranum
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Emergency Management Systems