Reference Number: 13142
Salary Range: $58,536.24 - $81,529.17 per annum
Location: 119 - 145 Spence Street, Cairns
Applications Close: Sunday, 23 February 2020
Looking for a "tree change"? Situated in tropical North Queensland, Cairns is a thriving vibrant city framed by world class attractions such as the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef, Wet Tropics - Daintree Rainforest and nearby Atherton Tablelands and outback Savannah regions. With an estimated population of approx. 165,000 the Cairns Regional Council local government area encompasses 1687 km2 of land on a narrow coastal strip between the Great Dividing Range and the Coral Sea. With our purpose to “serve the community”, we are committed to providing a sustainable liveable city that enhances our unique lifestyle and enriches our community and region. Our commitment to high quality services means that we need talented, committed people – we need you!
We are now seeking an experienced and suitably qualified Environmental Health Officer to join our team now!
The key focus of this position is to:
- Implement Council's Environmental Health and Permit Compliance Programs
- Investigate all complaints alleging relevant breaches of the following environmental health related legislation (and associated regulations) including but not limited to:
- Public Health Act 2005;
- Food Act 2006;
- Public Health (infection Control for Personal Appearance Services) Act 2003;
- Environmental Protection Act 1994;
- Environmental Protection Policies – Air (2008), Noise (2019) and Water (2009);
- Cairns Regional Council’s Local Laws
- Attend to the enforcement of the above legislation and collect evidence for further action, including drafting warrants and preparation of material for court prosecution
To be eligible for this position you must have the following:
- Bachelor of Science (Environmental Health) or such other qualifications as are accepted by the Chief Health Officer (Qld) and qualifies for membership of the Australian Institute of Environmental Health.
- Knowledge of the Food Act, Health Acts and other Legislation relevant to environmental health.
- Demonstrated previous experience in inspection, investigation, basic report and issuing infringements in relation to identified breaches of legislation.
- Current C Class Driver's Licence (Manual Vehicle).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to draft routine correspondence and reports
- Demonstrated methodical approach to decision making.
- Demonstrated accuracy in record keeping.
- Ability to relate in a courteous and diplomatic manner, particularly in dispute situations.
Employee benefits include:
- 9 Day Fortnight
- Up to 5 weeks annual leave
- 12% contribution to superannuation
- Annual leave loading
- Subsidised uniform allowance
- Subsidised health and well-being membership (gym / swimming pool)
- On-going opportunities for learning and professional development
For a full listing of the Key Duties & Responsibilities and full Selection Criteria you must go to our website: https://cairnsqld.mercury.com.au
How to Apply:
Your application must be submitted online and must consist of the following:
- Cover Letter addressing the three main elements as detailed in the full selection criteria.
- Copy of your Resume.
Applications not addressing the full selection criteria will not be accepted.
As part of the selection process applicants may be required to undertake some or all of the following preâ€‘employment assessments / checks:-
- Preâ€‘employment medical, which will include a functional capacity assessment and drug and alcohol test.
- National police / criminal history check.
- Practical Assessment
- Numeracy and Literacy Assessment
- Computer Skills Assessment
- Qualification / Licence Verification
- Working with Children & Young People (Blue Card) Verification
- Right to Work in Australia Check
- Directorship Check
To be eligible to apply for a position at Cairns Regional Council, you must fulfil one of the following criteria:-
- Permanent resident of Australia
- Australian Citizen
- New Zealand Citizen
- Entitlement to work visa